I created this recipe from the need to use a bunch of veggies I had in the fridge and some red lentils that were sitting in my pantry. The secret weapon to this soup is the white miso paste and of course the “Instant Pot”. It covers all the bases of being warm, creamy, and packed with protein, fiber, vitamins & minerals. It’s so easy and is done in under an hour…it gets better the longer it sits so you can turn it on and leave it until you’re ready to eat! A perfect meal for a busy day!
SERVINGS: 8 cups (6 servings)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion small diced
- 4 medium carrots chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 2 tbl. white miso paste
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth (I use Pacific Brand Organic Vegetable Broth)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
*Special Equipment: Instant Pot and High Speed Blender (optional)
Set Instant Pot to saute and add oil, garlic, mushrooms, onion, carrots, and celery and cook for about 5-6 minutes, until onion is soft, stirring often.
Turn saute function off, add the remaining ingredients and stir until evenly coated. Cover and lock the Instant Pot lid and then set to cook on HIGH pressure for 25 minutes. When timer goes off, allow the cooker to release pressure naturally for an additional 20 minutes or so. (It can stay much longer if you are not in a hurry!)
Open the lid, stir the soup and remove the bay leaves. Remove half of the soup and puree in a high speed blender. Add back into instant pot, if the soup is too thick add water or additional broth until you reach your desired consistency. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Serve with garnish of your choice. We love adding fresh cilantro and vegan sour cream, regular sour cream or creme fraiche !!
- TO STORE: Place leftover soup in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
- TO REHEAT: You can reheat this soup on the stove over medium-low heat until hot. You can also reheat this soup in the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Store soup in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months.