I love this meatloaf recipe because it packs in all the goodness of organic protein with lots of veggies. The almond flour keeps it perfectly held together without making it too dense. It’s definitely something you can make ahead and I highly suggest serving it with mashed cauliflower or a side salad, or even both!
Serves approx 4-6
- 2 lbs of grass-fed organic ground beef OR 2 lbs of organic ground turkey
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 onion, chopped small
- 1 (10 oz) package of frozen spinach, thawed and water drained
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1/2 cup of BBQ Sauce or ketchup (no sugar added if possible)
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of thyme
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne
- 2 tbs of olive oil (to sauté vegetables)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper
- Sauté onions and peppers over medium heat in a saucepan with 2 tbs of olive oil just until tender
- Add spinach, garlic, and spices to the sautéed vegetables in the pan, stir gently
- Remove saucepan with vegetables from heat and set aside
- Place uncooked ground beef (or) ground turkey in a large bowl and mix in the whisked eggs and almond flour and mix into the ground meat until fully incorporated.
- Take veggies from the saucepan and pour into bowl and mix the vegetables into the meat.
- Take ground beef or turkey mixture and place in a loaf pan and spread the BBQ sauce or ketchup over the top and sides of the meatloaf.
- Cook about 1 hr to 1 hr 15 minutes. Oven cooking times may vary. If you have a meat thermometer, the internal temperature of the meatloaf should reach 155º F. Avoid overcooking! Remove from oven and allow to set for about 10 minutes before slicing!