This paleo-friendly, vegan creamy butternut squash soup is so filling and comforting you will never miss the dairy! It has a light silky texture and makes the perfect meal served with a small salad. I tend to make a bunch at a time and freeze it so I can have the taste of fall later on in the year!
- 1 large butternut squash
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp coconut aminos or tamari (GF)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds-optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Cut the squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Place squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes, or until tender.
- While squash is baking, sauté onion and garlic in 1 tbl olive oil until translucent. Take off burner and reserve for later.
- Allow squash to cool, then scoop out the cooked flesh and put it into high speed blender. Add 1 cup of the vegetable broth, onion, garlic and all other ingredients and blend until creamy.
- Pour into a large saucepan and add remaining broth. Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with pepitas if desired.